The A120 Study is the culmination of almost 10 years of community and political persistence. There is still a lot of work to do to make any long-term improvements a reality, but I think we are all in agreement that the current A120 between Braintree and the A12 is not fit for purpose. Supporting a new route will cut queues, create more jobs and support our growing economy both in Essex and across the country.
We are currently appraising the different alignment options to improve the A120 between Braintree and the A12. Once these technical studies are completed, we are looking to recommend a favoured option to Highways England in summer 2018.
Our aim is to get the A120 Braintree to A12 upgrade into the Government’s Road Investment Strategy 2 (RIS2). This is money the Government sets aside for investing in strategic roads across the country between 2020 and 2025. This is expected to be announced in 2019.
Please see the project's timeline for more information.
Improving Essex’s roads
We are currently looking at new alignment options for the A120 between Braintree and the A12.
This is a priority for Essex. This major east-west link is one of the UK’s most important and congested roads.
It’s not just affecting one hour of peak time traffic. Journey times increase by 25% or more during five hours of the day eastbound, and during three hours of the day westbound.
With traffic volumes only set to increase, these growing bottlenecks will harm our economy.
We are determined to find the right long term solution and our key aims for the proposed scheme include:
- Reducing congestion, improving safety and giving our residents and businesses more reliable journey times
- Increasing network resilience by improving the corridor’s ability to cope with collisions, breakdowns, maintenance and flooding
- Improving connectivity within communities and to the wider transport network by reducing severance and increasing accessibility
- Improving the corridor for people using non-motorised transport and encouraging alternatives to car travel
- Finding a solution which minimises any environmental impacts
- Securing funding to make upgrades to the A120 a reality as soon as possible
Although the road is operated by Highways England, the Government has asked Essex County Council to lead work in determining the best way forward.
This is a unique opportunity for everyone in Essex to work together to find the best solution.